PROBATE – IT IS BEST TO AVOID GETTING THE COURT INVOLVED TO ADMINISTER ESTATES
Compassionate Legal Counsel During A Difficult Time
The death of a loved one is never easy. As an experienced probate attorney, I understand the personal and legal challenges people face after losing someone. I provide compassionate and sound legal counsel to those who need assistance with estate administration.
- Probate is the Court supervised process for publicly appointing an Executor (AKA Personal Representative – the gender neutral term) of the Estate to file an inventory, and pay taxes, creditors, and beneficiaries.
- Probate is the last resort method of transferring property of a deceased person to a beneficiary that has no other way to transfer.
- Probate does not require a Will.
- The fast, cheap, and private ways of avoiding the slow, expensive and public Probate include:
- Transferring real estate with a Transfer on Death Deed,
- Naming Beneficiaries on IRA, 401(k), life insurance and brokerage accounts,
- Using Payable on Death (POD) Designations,
- Re-titling accounts in your name as Trustee of your Trust.
The best Washington Probate websites are below:
A good book about what to do when a loved one dies is called: I’m Dead, Now What?: Important Information About My Belongings, Business Affairs, and Wishes: Peter Pauper Press
At Mulvaney Law Offices, PLLC, in Bellevue, Washington, I work with families and Personal Representatives to navigate them through probate. As your lawyer, I will offer straightforward guidance to help you handle your loved one’s estate appropriately and efficiently, while maintaining harmony among survivors to the maximum extent possible.
Top 10 Probate Pitfalls
If you are probating an estate, it is important to seek skilled legal guidance to avoid significant pitfalls that can lead to legal troubles and rifts in families. Common pitfalls include:
1. No will
2. No witnesses of will
3. Poor choice of personal representative
4. Personal representative not communicating with beneficiaries
5. Disagreements among beneficiaries
6. Disagreement between beneficiaries and personal representative
7. Inadequate inventory
8. Personal representative acting without beneficiary consent
9. Failure to secure estate property
10. Lack of focus on emotional impact of death and relationships among
surviving loved ones
Free Probate Law Consultations
Please email me at email@example.com to schedule a free initial legal consultation to discuss your probate concerns. I offer free, confidential legal consultations to individuals and families regarding probate.
MULVANEY LAW OFFICES, PLLC
14205 SE 36th St. Suite 100
Bellevue, WA 98006-1553
Mulvaney Law Offices, PLLC, is located in Bellevue, Washington, representing estate planning & probate, chapter 7 and chapter 13 bankruptcy, and real estate transactions clients in Seattle, Tacoma, Everett, Bellevue, Redmond, Renton, Issaquah, Sammamish, Maple Valley, Burien, SeaTac, and throughout King, Snohomish and Pierce counties.