Most creditors cannot garnish wages without first obtaining a Judgment against you. Federal student loan servicers, the IRS and state child support agencies are exceptions to this rule.Garnishment is a Court Order requiring your employer to deduct 25% of your net pay from each paycheck for the next 60 days. If your employer fails to do so, then your employer can be sued for the money you owe. Garnishment can be renewed until the Judgment is paid in full, which will take a long time because of the 12% post-Judgment interest rate and garnishment fees. You can be fired for repeated garnishments.

Most people cannot live with 25% of their net pay being taken. You are not required to live with it. Bankruptcy protection immediately stops wage garnishment.

In order for a creditor to get a Judgment, the creditor must file a lawsuit and have the Court enter an order in the creditor’s favor. You are supposed to be personally served with a Summons and Complaint giving you notice that you are being sued. However, that does not always happen. If you fail to respond to a Summons and Complaint in writing within 20 days, the creditor will get a default Judgment against you, and garnishment will be the next step.

Stop garnishments by contacting MLO in Bellevue, Washington, immediately if you are served with a Summons & Complaint or a Writ of Garnishment, and seeking protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. I am Christopher S. Mulvaney, an experienced bankruptcy attorney, and I will help you understand your options.

Facing Garnishment or Foreclosure? Contact MLO.

If you cannot afford to live with a garnishment, you should talk to an experienced lawyer about your rights as soon as possible.

I offer free and confidential initial legal consultations to potential bankruptcy and estate planning clients. Email me at to schedule your consultation.
I offer evening appointments on-site at my law office, where ample free parking is available.
For more detailed information about my practice in Bellevue, Washington, please consult my Blog.


14205 SE 36th St. Suite 100
Bellevue, WA 98006-1553


Phone: 425-998-6352
Fax: 425-223-3197

Get Directions

Mulvaney Law Offices, PLLC, is located in Bellevue, Washington, representing estate planning & probate, chapter 7 and chapter 13 bankruptcy, and real estate transactions clients in Seattle, Tacoma, Everett, Bellevue, Redmond, Renton, Issaquah, Sammamish, Maple Valley, Burien, SeaTac, and throughout King, Snohomish and Pierce counties.

© 2015 by Mulvaney Law Offices, PLLC.  All rights reserved.